On Fly In The Salt
On Fly In The Salt
Highlights from the Permanent Collection
Programs & Events
Careers with the National Sporting Library & Museum
The NSLM is currently seeking candidates for the following positions:
Interested in volunteering? Click here to learn more.
The Temporary/Seasonal Art Handler assists curatorial and facilities staff to install and deinstall exhibitions, adjust overhead lighting, pack and unpack artwork, and safely transport artwork.
Reports to: Collections Manager
Hours: 40 per week (typically 9 am – 5 pm) / 2-3 weeks per exhibition. Additional and/or other hours may apply. Possible weekend and evening hours.
Safely handle art using best practices and adherence to NSLM standards for (including but not limited to):
- Pick-ups and deliveries: understand how to properly load/unload a truck and keep artwork secure and stable during transport; ensure artwork is stored safely in the NSLM facility.
- Packing/unpacking/crating: using proper archival materials and those appropriate to the medium/surface/condition and fragility of the item
- Installation of objects ranging from paintings and sculptures of all sizes, to mixed media works of all descriptions, in an institutional setting with the ability to select the proper hardware as needed.
- Safely and responsibly drive trucks carrying property of high value.
- Work both individually and as part of a team to accomplish projects.
- Properly follow safety procedures for moving and storing artwork.
- Other projects as assigned.
- Minimum 2 years art handling experience required; preferably in a museum/institution, high-end gallery, or other art-service company.
- Experience driving 12-16 foot box trucks preferred.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs and climb 10' ladder.
- Understanding and ability to articulate art handling best practices for packing/crating, transportation, shipping, and installation.
- Strong initiative and work ethic with flexibility to respond to and take action in changing circumstances, often under pressure.
- Ability to work in a team format with sensitivity to a variety of personalities or independently with equal productivity.
- Excellent communication and comprehensions skills; able to interpret detailed instructions.
- Working familiarity with basic hand tools, power tools, and equipment.
Submit cover letter, resume, and two reference names with contact information, via email to info@NationalSporting.org
Deadline: February 15, 2019
Facilities Manager Assistant
The Facilities Assistant position assists the Facilities Manager with all aspects of monitoring, maintenance and repair of the NSLM buildings and grounds, which is comprised of three main buildings. Primary duties include performing minor repairs, maintenance, housekeeping and organizing to include helping with diagnosing problems that need to be resolved for proper operations; and assisting with set up/take down for events, meetings and exhibitions.
Reports to: Facilities Manager
Hours: Part time, 2-3 days/week, typically 7:00 AM – 3:30 PM. Additional and/or other hours may apply. Possible weekend and evening hours.
Be available to learn all components of the facilities with attention to detail, recording and report findings to Facilities Manager
Demonstrate care around contents of the Library and Museum
Learn and understand the daily checks of equipment, spaces and grounds. Lighting, Door/Hardware, HVAC equipment, electrical, plumbing, landscaping, finishes, and others.
Initiative to take corrective action to remedy issues that do not need prior approval
Be responsive to emergency situations on occasion to help remedy the cause
Follow instructions and communicate back to Facilities Manager
Maintaining clean and orderly spaces in all areas
Walk through each building checking each area and associated equipment, general conditions of each space to determine if all systems and spaces are operating correctly or need attention, reporting findings to manager
Walk grounds to assess the conditions and report to manager
Conduct and/or provide assistance with small projects, minor repairs, diagnosing troubles and maintenance conducted in-house
Assist with overseeing subcontractors, provide access and provide help when needed
Monitor status of climate control equipment and monitoring software
Minor cleaning and maintaining order in all areas
Conduct facilities duties when management is off site
High School. Trade schooling in related fields a plus. (Carpentry, plumbing, electrical, etc.)
General handyman skills
Competent with power and hand tools
Ability to measure, complete simple calculations, read and use basic instruments
Have basic/general computer skills
Skills and performance expectations:
Anxious to learn, be trained and make NSLM the best it can be
Possess general maintenance skills, carpentry skills, janitorial skills and the ability to push, pull, and lift heavy objects up to 50 pounds. Should be comfortable climbing ladders.
Be trainable to conduct routine inspections, minor adjustments, maintenance items, small projects, clean work areas, safe surroundings and continual communication with facilities manager.
Being available when asked to help out with unscheduled occurrences
New Assignments: As assigned by the Facilities Manager.