The National Sporting Library & Museum was founded in 1954 as a public research resource on equestrian, angling and field sports. From its earliest years, the Library was housed on the lower level of Vine Hill in Middleburg, Virginia and relocated to its current building after construction was completed in 1999. The Library houses over 20,000 books, periodicals and archive collections on foxhunting, horse racing, angling, equitation, wing shooting and many other topics. The oldest titles in the collection date to the 16th Century. The library's oldest and rarest materials are housed in the F. Ambrose Clark Rare Books Room.
Access to the collections in the Main Reading Room is available to the public during the Library's normal operating hours. Library materials do not circulate. Access to the Library's archives, periodical collection, and rare book collections is available by appointment only. Research assistance is available via an appointment with the Librarian; such assistance is limited to one half hour of staff time per request. Researchers wishing to access the F. Ambrose Clark Rare Book Room must present valid government-issued photo identification before entering the room and must be accompanied by a senior staff member at all times during the visit.
Contact Michelle Guzman, the George L. Ohrstrom, Jr. Head Librarian at 540-687-6542 x18 or email@example.com for questions or to schedule a research appointment.